If you’re looking for a furry friend that’s both unique and affectionate, consider the Great Dane Beagle Mix or BeDane for short.
This charming crossbreed is quickly gaining popularity among dog lovers, and for good reason.
In this post, I will cover in-depth on its history, temperament, and what you can expect if you ever add one to your family.
- Great Dane Beagle Mix History
- Great Dane Beagle Mix Personality and Temperament
- Great Dane Beagle Mix Training Tips
- Great Dane Beagle Mix Exercise Needs
- Great Dane Beagle Mix Diet Requirements
- Great Dane Beagle Mix Grooming Requirements
- Great Dane Beagle Mix Popular Colors and Patterns
- Great Dane Beagle Mix Common Health Issues
- Great Dane Beagle Mix Lifespan
- In Conclusion: Great Dane Beagle Mix
Great Dane Beagle Mix History
The Great Dane Beagle mix: a unique crossbreed with a controversial history from two to three decades ago.
Is it your first time hearing BeDane? It’s a unique mix of popular breeds – the Great Dane and the Beagle.
If you do, I’m here to tell you about this lovable, charming furry friend who will surely steal your heart.
Let’s start with the breeds themselves.
The Great Dane is one of the world’s tallest dog breeds, while the Beagle is a small hound with a keen nose for hunting.
Despite their differences, these two breeds come together to create the BeDane, a friendly and affectionate dog that’s both big and small at the same time.
And you can call them gentle giants.
They weigh between 50 and 150 pounds and have a friendly personality and a love of snuggles. They’re also great family pets and get along well with children and animals.
However, despite their unique appeal, the BeDane is quite rare.
Few breeders are willing to produce them due to ethical issues surrounding breeding a giant and a small dog.
When they do, it often happens via artificial insemination to avoid physical injury.
But if you can adopt a BeDane, you won’t regret it.
They’re a lovable and unique crossbreed that will bring joy and happiness to any household.
Doggy say, you might want to read about the Great Pyrenees Beagle mix too!
Great Dane history
The mighty hunter dogs with a noble history.
Are you curious about their history?
From their noble beginnings as chamber dogs to their role as fearless hunting companions, Great Danes have a rich and fascinating history that has made them one of the most beloved dog breeds today.
The following will give you a glimpse of the history of this noble dog breed.
|Origin||16th Century England|
|Names||Englische Dogge → Deutsche Dogge → Great Dane|
|Function||Hunting dogs for bears and boars; classified as working dogs|
|Other Names||German boarhounds, Kammerhunde, or chamber dogs|
From pocket-sized to medium-sized hunting dogs.
If Great Danes pique your curiosity, you’re sure to take an interest in Beagles too.
The Beagle’s history is a mystery, but its journey from a pocket-sized hunting dog to a medium-sized family pet is interesting.
Thanks to the tireless efforts of breeders, we now have modern Beagles with their trademark floppy ears and wagging tails.
Keep reading for some featured history of this cute size dog.
|Size||Small pocket-sized dogs. (Queen Elizabeth I’s Beagle 8-9 inches)|
|Origin||In medieval times, Britain|
|Breeding||St. Hubert Hound, Talbot Hound, Greyhounds|
|Modern Beagles||Medium-sized, refined appearance|
|Function||Hunting dogs, family pets, law enforcement|
Doggy says, you might be interested in reading this too: Short haired Shelties
Great Dane Beagle Mix Personality and Temperament
A friendly and energetic dog
The Great Dane Beagle Mix is perfect if you seek a companion who prioritizes family.
This crossbreed is friendly, energetic, and loving, especially toward kids.
The best of both worlds.
The BeDane inherits positive traits from both parent breeds.
They’re loyal, compassionate, affectionate, and gentle, making them perfect family pets.
Both Great Danes and Beagles are hunting dogs, which means they love being outside and exploring new scents.
The BeDane is no different! They love going for walks and exploring the great outdoors.
While the BeDane has a friendly nature, it’s important to remember that every dog is different.
The temperament of every BeDane can be different, depending on their genes and environment.
But, with the proper training and socializing, you can have the best BeDane dog.
Great Dane Beagle Mix Training Tips
If you own a BeDane, you know how amazing these pets can be.
With their cuteness, cuddliness, and intelligence, they’re gonna make great companions.
Proper training is essential to having a well-behaved BeDane.
Below are some simple yet effective dog training tips that produce the best results:
- Start early: Puppies are like sponges and soak up information quickly, so start training as early as possible. Training your dog can instill positive habits and behaviors that will benefit them throughout their life.
- Use positive reinforcement: Reward your dog immediately when they perform positive actions. It reinforces good behavior and makes training easier.
- Be patient: Learning takes time, so keep going even if you don’t see results right away. Keep your expectations realistic and stick with them!
- Socialize your BeDane: Expose your puppy to people, animals, and environments. As your BeDane matures, you can assist them in becoming more well-adjusted and less anxious.
- Use a firm and consistent approach: Use a clear and confident tone of voice, and give the same commands in similar situations. It helps your BeDane learn what you expect of them.
- Refrain from using physical punishment: Physical punishment is not an effective training technique and can damage your relationship.
Great Dane Beagle Mix Exercise Needs
You should know now that this energetic breed requires good physical exercise to stay healthy and happy.
But what does “good amount” mean?
At least 30 minutes to an hour a day would be ideal.
Take them for long walks at least twice a day and include running and agility sports in their routine.
Try breaking up their exercise routine into smaller sessions instead of one big session as it can keep your BeDane from getting too tired or bored.
Also, consider incorporating interactive toys like balls or frisbees to keep them engaged and active.
Great Dane Beagle Mix Diet Requirements
Do you need help deciding what diet to provide your new BeDane?
First and foremost, consult your vet for your pup’s specific needs.
The food choices will depend on age, activity level, and weight.
To get you started, here are some general feeding tips to keep in mind:
- Control portion sizes: Puppies have high metabolisms, so monitoring how much they eat is essential. Typically, 1/4 cup per pound of your dog’s weight is sufficient.
With smaller dogs eating less and larger dogs eating more.
- Balance their diet: Make sure your BeDane is getting the necessary nutrients, vitamins, and minerals they need. A good balance of protein, fats, and healthy carbohydrates is essential.
- Provide clean water: Freshwater should always be available, ideally in portable bowls when you’re on the go. Easy access to water is essential on hot days.
Remember, your vet is your best resource for ensuring your Great Dane Beagle mix is well-fed and healthy.
I highly recommend checking out Ollie fresh dog food where you can get customized solutions delivered to your doorstep every time.
Great Dane Beagle Mix Grooming Requirements
If you have a Great Dane Beagle mix, you’re in luck! These hybrid pups are surprisingly low-maintenance when it comes to grooming.
Their short and dense fur coats mean you won’t worry too much about regular brushing and grooming.
Plus, they only shed seasonally, so with some basic grooming, you can keep them looking neat and tidy.
Here are some grooming tips to keep in mind:
- Give them a soft bristle brush once a week
- Bathe them once or twice a month.
- Keep their nails trimmed regularly.
- Clean their ears with an ear-cleaning solution.
- Brush their teeth to maintain fresh breath and good dental health.
With these simple tips, you can keep your Great Dane Beagle mix looking and feeling their best without breaking a sweat.
Great Dane Beagle Mix Popular Colors and Patterns
If you want a pet that stands out from the crowd, the Great Dane Beagle mix is an excellent choice.
These delightful pups are a perfect blend of both breeds, resulting in a beautiful combination of physical traits that will turn heads.
From floppy Beagle ears to a straight tail, these dogs can display an array of features.
But their coat truly sets them apart – with various colors and patterns, from solid colors to patches and spots, these pups have an eye-catching appearance that is all their own.
And even more, their coats can range from short to silky or medium-dense. No two BeDanes are alike because their inherited genetics determine their unique appearance.
With all these factors in play, it’s no wonder that each BeDane pup is a one-of-a-kind companion.
Great Dane Beagle Mix Common Health Issues
If you’re considering adopting a BeDane, you should first know about the possible health concerns.
BeDanes inherit qualities from both parent breeds, making them more prone to health conditions on either or both breeds.
Some of the health issues that BeDanes might encounter include:
- From beagles: Overweight, epilepsy, hip dysplasia, and arthritis
- From Great Danes: Bloat, Tricuspid valve disease, hip dysplasia, cardiomyopathy, and obesity
- Hip dysplasia is a typical problem that affects both Beagles and Great Danes. It occurs when the thigh bone does not fit correctly into the hip joint.
- Other health issues: Ear infections, hypothyroidism, patella luxation, progressive retinal atrophy, glaucoma, and Beagle Dwarfism
- BeDanes might also encounter bone cancer and heart disease requiring immediate vet attention.
But don’t worry! BeDanes are generally healthy dogs.
With proper care and attention, you can help them stay healthy and happy.
You should purchase a BeDane puppy from a trustworthy breeder who can provide a comprehensive health report of the puppy and their parents.
And after you acquire a BeDane, remember to schedule regular checkups with your vet to help prevent and manage potential health issues.
Something else you can do as well is to get a DNA test to ascertain its origins and have a better understanding of its health history.
Hey there, I’m sorry to interrupt you here but I wanted to tell you about an online vet service I’ve been using for years.
An in-person visit with one is great, but it’s not always an option.
Now, thanks to technology, you can speak to one without leaving your home.
Alternatively, a vet can come out to you instead (exclusive to our readers: use THEVETS15 for 15% off).SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT HERE
Thank you. The rest of the article continues below.
Great Dane Beagle Mix Lifespan
Did you know?
BeDanes can live for over 12 years!
The Great Dane has a lifespan of 12 to 15 years, while the Beagle can live up to 10 years.
However, how long your BeDane lives depends on the genetics, health, and lifestyle it adopts.
To help your BeDane live a long and healthy life, you should:
- Provide a healthy diet
- Daily exercise
- Regular vet check-ups
- Love and attention
Show your BeDane love and attention to keep it happy and mentally stimulated.
By following these tips, you can have your BeDane stay by your side for many years!
What are some good toys for this breed?
To keep your BeDane entertained, try out toys to challenge their minds, like interactive or puzzle feeders. For playtime, rope toys and balls will help. And chew toys can meet their urge to play bite. But always choose safe and comfortable toys for their size and strength.
Are Great Dane Beagle mixes good with kids?
Great Dane Beagle Mix is a perfect choice for families with children. But because dogs can be unpredictable, constantly watch how your kids interact with your BeDane. Training and socialization can influence how they get along with your kids and everyone in your family.
What are the downsides of having a Great Dane Beagle Mix?
BeDane is a loving dog, but it comes with potential downsides. These include separation anxiety, high exercise needs (inherited from the Beagle), and a strong prey drive (from the Great Dane).
In Conclusion: Great Dane Beagle Mix
This breed is truly unique and adorable that combines the size and stature of the Great Dane with the playful and friendly nature of the Beagle.
While there are potential health concerns and training challenges, this hybrid can make a great companion for the right owner who is willing to put in the time and effort to properly care for and train them!
Craving more information about other unique dog breeds? Check these out:
- Pomeranian Chow mix
- Vizsla Dachshund mix
- White Red Nose Pitbulls
- How many puppies can a dog have?
- Sheltie Husky mix
Know someone who might benefit from this information? Please share this article with them. And do consider joining our community of responsible pet parents too!