Is Powerbait Poisonous To Dogs?

Our favorite pooch is such a versatile animal. You can take them with you to so many different activities and they never seem to get bored at any time! Can’t say the same about our fellow humans every time *wink*.

And thanks to that, there are many dog owners who love to take to the waters to fish, frequently bringing their loyal pets with them. They serve as excellent companions, especially when you are out on a trip alone.

That said, there are some precautions that you need to take in order to have a safe trip, particularly when it comes to fishing baits such as Powerbait.

Is Powerbait poisonous to dogs?

What will happen if you found out that your dog swallowed some?

Read on to find out more.

QUICK RECOMMENDATION: Most of us bring our dogs out daily, and I highly recommend using this doggy poop bag. Better yet, switch to a compostable one instead and save the earth! (View them on Amazon. Eligible for Prime. Links open in new window)

This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.

What is Powerbait?

what is powerbait

Powerbait is a synthetic fish bait that is very popular among fishermen. It is a convenient alternative to live bait, and it is one of the most powerful baits known for catching a lot of fish.

But what exactly is it made of? And why is it so effective?

Powerbait comes in a small, plastic jar and closely resembles playdough. It comes in many different vibrant colors, sometimes even with glitter!

However, it’s not a toy. Powerbait is meant to be molded around fishhooks and attracts fish with its strong scent.

Powerbait is made from a combination of oil-based resin with PVC.

PVC is a type of plastic that starts off as a fine white powder and is mixed with the resin over heat.

As the mixture heats up, it becomes a dough-like consistency that holds its shape and can be easily molded on fishing equipment.

This is why it is known by fishermen as ‘dough bait’.

In order to make this peculiar dough seem appealing to fish, flavors, scents, and colors are added to the bait.

There is a large range of different flavors and smells that give this type of bait a signature stench.

Also, because of the oil from the resin, it keeps the Powerbait smell trapped in the dough. It is only when you start molding the dough that the smell is released.

Besides the added smells and flavors, different colors are also added to attract certain fish.

They even sometimes have glitter and shiny particles mixed in with the dough.

The shininess combined with attractive colors and strong smells makes this bait very appealing to fish.

Read next: How to Correct East West Feet in Dogs? When should you be concerned?

Is Powerbait toxic?

Since Powerbait is such a successful product, many fishing enthusiasts will have some at home.

This begs the question; Can Powerbait be harmful if consumed by your dog?

After looking at what Powerbait is made of, it is clear to see that there really is nothing natural about the ingredients.

It is artificial and completely synthetic and even includes plastic!

It is completely unlike anything that an animal would naturally eat – dog or fish.

Despite its unnatural origins, Powerbait is perfectly safe. If you catch a fish using Powerbait, you can still safely eat your catch. Or, if you decide to let the fish go, it will not poison or harm the fish and its ecosystem. It won’t cause any harm to the environment because it’s biodegradable!

However, even though it isn’t bad for fish or for the environment, it is still not intended for your dog’s consumption.

In small amounts, it is unlikely to be harmful, but you should still contact a vet if your dog has ingested this product.

The bait is made out of an oily substance and may upset a dog’s stomach causing vomiting and diarrhea. But besides tummy troubles, your pooch should be fine.

Read next: Can crating a dog stunt growth? Tips on how to do it right

Does Powerbait dissolve?

what if my dog ate powerbait

Powerbait contains PVC plastic and will not be dissolved or digested when eaten.

A dog’s digestive system recognizes that the substance cannot be effectively used and tries to get rid of it as quickly as possible.

Most likely, it will pass right through your dog’s system if ingested.

However, besides the popular dough version, Powerbait includes other kinds of synthetic fish bait as well. These different forms of bait will be digestible if ingested.

One example of this is Powerbait Nibbles which are clumps of the Powerbait formula that dissolve slowly in water.

This unique bait is designed to attract certain kinds of fish, but if eaten by a dog it will dissolve and be digested.

And not to worry!

These nibbles are biodegradable, made primarily of sugar and dehydrated corn. They are not dangerous for your dog.

Read next: How many days can I bathe my dog after vaccination? Must read before you do it

Can dogs eat fish bait?

If your dog has accidentally found their way into your bait box and munched on some Powerbait, you don’t have to worry.

It’s relatively harmless to your pup. But, this doesn’t mean that they should eat it.

There are also other things in that bait box that could be dangerous for your dog, especially if consumed.

Fishing bait may be attractive to your dogs whether or not the bait is alive.

Many dogs would be enticed by live bait like minnows, leeches, and frogs, and try to eat them!

But even non-live bait has alluring smells and shiny colors that tempt your dog to give it a taste!

Even though your bait may be alive and natural, it still contains bacteria that could make your dog sick. As long as they haven’t eaten too much of it, your dog should be fine.

However, it will upset their stomachs and they may experience diarrhea and vomiting if they ingest too much live bait. If you are concerned with what your dog has eaten or about any serious symptoms, then you should contact your vet.

Powerbait is just one of many kinds of artificial bait used to lure fish. Another form of bait is to use soft-plastic lures. These man-made baits are shiny in color and may attract your dog. If your dog ends up swallowing a soft-plastic lure, it can be potentially harmful to them.

With this plastic bait, the concern isn’t whether or not the bait is toxic. The plastic will not be dissolved and will pass straight through your dog’s digestive system posing no threat of poisoning your pooch.

However, there is the risk of the bait becoming obstructed and stuck somewhere along your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. This is much more likely to occur in smaller dogs.

If your dog eats some soft-plastic bait, monitor them for any signs of discomfort and see if you can find the bait in their poop.

As it’s passing through your dog’s digestive system, it may cause vomiting and diarrhea.

This is normal, but make sure to monitor your dog’s eating and check for other symptoms. Take your dog to the vet if you notice drastic changes in their behavior.

btfd-in-content-banner-mobile

In conclusion: Is Powerbait poisonous to dogs?

It is normal to be concerned about what your dog ingests, especially when it comes to products that look like they were formulated with lots of chemicals.

In the case of Powerbait, there will not be any problems if your pooch eats a small amount of it. Be sure to keep an eye out for them for a few days after it has happened and observe if they passed motion.

Watch out for any signs of trouble such as diarrhea and vomiting and bring it to the vet if it persists.

While a fishing trip with your dog might be super fun, it is also important to ensure their well-being, so always store potentially dangerous items out of their way!

Zack Keithy
Zack Keithy

Hi, I'm Zack, the Chief Editor here. I was formerly a certified vet tech for a good 6 years before moving on to greener pastures. Right now, I am still heavily involved in dog parenting duties, and it is my desire to share all our knowledge with fellow dog owners out there! Connect with me on LinkedIn or check out my about page!.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.